Friday, September 23, 2016

A Gaming Wasteland

I recently (late April) returned to EVE after about a year of wandering the wastes of what makes up our current gaming menu. Having dabbed in Diablo 3 (and its expansion), Heroes of the Storm, Kerbal Space Program, Skyrim, Fallout, ARK and all the rest, I came to the realization that while they each performed brilliantly in a few aspects of what I really wanted in my gaming experience none of them came as close as EVE to putting it all together.

Now I'm not saying that EVE is perfect. Far from it. I'm just saying that EVE is currently the only game I'm aware of that comes pretty close to what I want in a game.

My perfect gaming experience is one that allows me, and other players, to design and create massive structures; immense monuments to our own egos. All the players should be in one game-space so we can experience each others' grandiose edifices. Players need to be raised to near manic emotional highs at the completion of their goals. I want them to stand and bask in the glory of their creations. I want to stand behind them and stare in wonder. The pinnacle of my ideal gaming experience is to be able to destroy everything that everyone else has created - preferably accompanied by their great emotional trauma.

It's always been my personal opinion that EVE is not, per se, a great game. It's got a UI made of spreadsheets and a world that isn't consistent with what we know of astrophysics. But EVE does one thing exceedingly well: it allows us to force-feed hate and discontent to our fellow players by the truck load.

No comments:

Post a Comment