Sunday, March 3, 2013

1.3 Billion


So I logged in last night to find our fleet rolling the static for pew. I hopped into a scan boat and did my part like any good wormhole denizen. We probably spent 2 hours rolling the hole and people were beginning to get a little trigger happy. It got to a point at the end where we had an Archon on the field to rep up ships that became the target of boredom-induced friendly fire.

Soon enough we had a new target. Scouts spotted Sleeper Social Club (SSC) bringing a BlackOps fleet through our static and into the next system, a class 5 Cataclysmic Variable (C5a).

Excellent. We finally had some targets. And these weren't just any targets. They were fat ones that we knew would fight. I had never engaged SSC before, but knew them by reputation - this wouldn't be an easy fight.

Scouts aside, everyone reshipped to armor Strategic and Heavy Assault cruisers. We rustled up a few more guardians and had a Bhaalgorn on standby. The fleet was looking pretty good. It always does when no one is shooting at it.

Once everyone was ready to go we moved up to the C5a wormhole in our static system and held there while scouts got inside the Social Club home system (C5b). Once everything was set the call came. We jumped through in the C5a and warped to the wormhole to C5b, SSC's front porch by all rights.

A Legion and two Proteuses were on the hole and we engaged.

Knowing that these guys wouldn't be left to die alone and that the rest of their fleet would soon arrive our FC gave the order to align to the sun and burn off the wormhole. I wasn't sure why, but I did it and slowly but surely moved outside effective range.

A few seconds later we were told to head back to the wormhole - again not sure why - and then told to burn away as the main body of the SSC fleet started to pour through. At this point I'm still too far away from anyone to deal significant damage so I keep my target webbed and pointed.

I took a second to zoom out and get a better view of how the battlefield is arrayed. Our fleet is basically cut in half, with one group pinned down on the hole and the other group a good distance off the wormhole. It's at this point that I'm certain we're about to get not only beaten, but totally and embarrassingly obliterated.

I'm with the group pinned down on the hole and am somewhat amused by the fact that I can tell exactly when my name gets mentioned by the enemy fleet's FC. Lots of red boxes appear on my overview and I my shields melt as the enemy fleet switches fire to me.

I put my guns on a Proteus who has closed range with me and broadcast for reps that I know won't happen.

My time to die arrives and my beloved Proteus, Arch Sartan, burns in a glorious fire with its guns blazing and a worthy enemy pointed and webbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment